Monday, March 11, 2013

STAGED by Ruby Preston





Book/Author: Staged by Ruby Preston
Publisher: Circle Dress Publishing
Series: Yes
How I got it: From the lovely people at Circle Dress Publishing.
Publication Date: March 12, 2013
Add it: Goodreads
Rating: 4.5 Stars

 

Aspiring Broadway producer Scarlett Savoy has almost everything she needs to make her first musical a huge success- millions in financial backing, a talented (not to mention handsome) young director, and a big-name Hollywood starlet as her female lead. But with none of the theater owners in town willing to back a novice, she’s missing one final piece of the puzzle: a Broadway theater. Just when Scarlett thinks her show might never see the footlights of day, an unexpected meeting with the young, eligible son in the Stewart theatrical empire changes Scarlett’s Broadway prospects forever.


 

 My Thoughts


A quote from a review of the first book in this series, Showbiz, describes it perfectly. “Will have you dreaming of Broadway even if you’re miles away.” (TheatreMania) As I was reading this I found myself remembering my own adventures in NYC… and I was homesick. So much that I actually created an entire board on Pinterest dedicated to it. The author describes the city in such detail, and with such affection, that I was completely immersed in the story. The culture and charm of New York simply oozed from the pages, it’s obvious that the author has a lot of affection for it. I got excited every time she talked about something that I remembered seeing for myself when I was in NYC, the TKTS bleachers, the hawkers in Times Square vying for your attention, trying to get you to come see their show, the restaurants…

 

The story itself was quite enjoyable too. I felt like I knew the characters personally, because I know people, friends, who are very similar. Especially Scarlett’s brother and her best friend, I swear I know people just like them. I felt myself stressing along with Scarlett as she struggled to make her show work. I’ve been part of a production that is just getting started. The stress of finding just the right people for the show, funding, location, publicity, funding, going to read throughs, did I mention funding? Scarlett’s deep devotion and love for the theatre is evident on every page. Not just the “oh, the Arts are popular and we must preserve them”. But the love of the history, culture, tradition… I feel like we're kindred spirits.

 

The only part of the book that I felt was a bit off was the situation Scarlett finds herself in, it was a bit far-fetched and almost felt out of place with the realism of the rest of the book. And yet… it’s New York, and even more importantly, Broadway. ANYTHING is possible.


Oh, and as a warning to those who appreciate show tunes. They are referenced constantly throughout the book. You WILL have them running through your head for days after. I think I'm going to make a Spotify playlist for the songs referenced in this book...


I'll leave you with a picture of Times Square. :)



 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You know what? You're brilliant! Thanks so much for commenting, I always reply!